The Montessori School (TMS) offers need-based Financial Aid to qualified families. The School and Student Service (SSS) for Financial Aid provides a starting point in understanding how financial aid works. Financial aid applications are available at SSSbyNAIS.org. Reports are forwarded to TMS for review by the Financial Aid Committee. TMS does not discriminate against an applicant with regard to race, religion, color, or national origin. Read about TMS Financial Aid Policies here. Any family may apply for need-based financial aid.
- Complete online the Parent Financial Statement (PFS)
- Online at School and Student Services: http://sssbynais.org/parents (Google Chrome browser is recommended)
- Select – SSS by NAIS for Families
- The Montessori School code: 3486
- Submit to TMS Financial Aid Committee: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 2016 & 2017 W-2’s for both parents
- Submit 2016 Tax returns including all schedules; if you own your own business and submit tax information in addition to your personal returns, please include that documentation as well
- 2017 Tax Returns including all schedules, by April 15
- SUBMIT ALL OF THE ABOVE WITH ADMISSIONS APPLICATION
- Grants will be awarded conditionally based on 2016 tax information. The amount of grants may be adjusted once 2017 information is evaluated.
Timeline For 2018-19
The Financial Aid Committee sets deadlines for filing of the financial aid application to ensure that all families have equitable access to financial aid funds. All applications for financial aid must be complete at the time of submission in order to be considered. Timely application with Admissions Application is requested.
- Processing of applications for financial aid from prospective families will begin on February 26 after awards have been made to current TMS families.
- Beginning February 26, Financial Aid will be processed for new families on a first-come, first-served basis according to the date of submission of Admissions Application with Financial Aid.
Grants will be awarded based on SSS qualification and TMS financial Aid budget. Award may be adjusted once current year tax information is evaluated.
Financial Aid Policies of the TMS Board of Trustees
The Montessori School adheres to the NAIS Principles of Good Practice in Financial Aid Administration.
The Montessori School does not discriminate in its allocation of financial aid funds on the basis of race, color, religion, sexual orientation or national origin and does not consider financial aid in admissions eligibility.
Financial aid is awarded on the basis of a family’s demonstrated financial need. Eligibility for aid is determined through the filing of the Parent’s Financial Statement (PFS) with Student and School Services (SSS), (http://sssbynais.org/parents) of the National Association of Independent Schools. Based on a determination of eligibility by SSS, the Financial Aid Committee of The Montessori School then evaluates the family’s complete Federal Income Tax forms, supporting schedules and W-2 forms. Eligibility is not a guarantee that financial aid will be available.
Responsibility for tuition rests primarily with each family. In considering requests for Financial assistance, the Financial Aid Committee takes into account number and ages of children in independent school, assets and all income sources. Consideration is also given to debt, expenses, lifestyle choices and spending priorities.
- Parents are responsible for adhering to all deadlines and completeness of submissions.
- Both parents are required to complete all financial aid filing and submission requirements.
- Awards are contingent on the family meeting its financial obligation to TMS for the current year.
- An unemployed parent will be assigned income in the amount of one tuition. (Exception: At home caring for non school-age child or elderly parent.)
The Financial Aid Committee respects the privacy of all applicants and guarantees the confidentiality of the process. In turn, families are expected to maintain confidentiality of the process and any award information. Awards may be rescinded if a family breaches the confidentiality of the process.
Awards of financial assistance are for the school year for which application is made. Families must reapply each year for financial aid.