The Montessori School seeks families who value a Montessori education for their child and want to provide a strong educational foundation during the formative years of brain development. An early investment in a TMS education will ensure academic and personal success for your child in later years. We recognize the financial sacrifice families make in choosing a TMS education for their child, which is why the Board of Trustees includes an amount for financial aid in the annual school budget. Any family may apply for need-based financial aid.
Timeline For 2017-18
The Financial Aid Committee sets deadlines for filing of the financial aid application to ensure that all families have equitable access to financial aid funds. All applications for financial aid must be complete at the time of submission in order to be considered. Timely application is requested by the Financial Aid Committee.
- Current Families – March 1 / Families of children currently enrolled at TMS are requested to complete their application no later than March 1 with their re-enrollment contract. Awards will be made as applications are received. Current families who file after the deadline of March 1 will be added to the Prospective Family list according to date of submission.
- Prospective Families / Processing of applications for financial aid from prospective families will begin on March 2. Aid will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis according to the date of submission.
Financial Aid Policies of the TMS Board of Trustees
- Standard of Practice – The Montessori School adheres to the NAIS Principles of Good Practice in Financial Aid Administration.
- Non Discrimination – The Montessori School does not discriminate in its allocation of financial aid funds on the basis of race, color, religion, sexual orientation or national origin and does not consider financial aid in admissions eligibility.
- Need Based Awards – Financial aid is awarded on the basis of a family’s demonstrated financial need. Eligibility for aid is determined through the filing of the Parent’s Financial Statement (PFS) with Student and School Services (SSS), (http://sssbynais.org/parents) of the National Association of Independent Schools. Based on a determination of eligibility by SSS, the Financial Aid Committee of The Montessori School then evaluates the family’s complete Federal Income Tax forms, supporting schedules and W-2 forms. Eligibility is not a guarantee that financial aid will be available.
- Parental Responsibility – Responsibility for tuition rests primarily with each family. In considering requests for Financial assistance, the Financial Aid Committee takes into account number and ages of children in independent school, assets and all income sources. Consideration is also given to debt, expenses, lifestyle choices and spending priorities.
- Parents are responsible for adhering to all deadlines and completeness of submissions.
- Both parents are required to complete all financial aid filing and submission requirements.
- Awards are contingent on the family meeting its financial obligation to TMS for the current year.
- An unemployed parent will be assigned income in the amount of one tuition. (Exception: At home caring for non school-age child or elderly parent.)
- Confidentiality – The Financial Aid Committee respects the privacy of all applicants and guarantees the confidentiality of the process. In turn, families are expected to maintain confidentiality of the process and any award information. Awards may be rescinded if a family breaches the confidentiality of the process.
- Term of Financial Aid Award – Awards of financial assistance are for the school year for which application is made. Families must reapply each year for financial aid.
By March 1 for current families and after application for new families
- Complete online the Parent Financial Statement (PFS)
- Online at School and Student Services: http://sssbynais.org/parents (Google Chrome browser is recommended)
- Select – SSS by NAIS for Families
- The Montessori School code: 3486
- Submit to TMS Financial Aid Committee: email@example.com
- 2015 & 2016 W-2’s for both parents
- 2015 Tax returns including all schedules; if you own your own business and submit tax information in addition to your personal returns, please include that documentation as well
- 2016 Tax Returns including all schedules, by April 15
- Grants will be awarded conditionally based on 2015 tax information. The amount of grants may be adjusted once 2016 information is evaluated.
Request For Additional Funding
TMS has a formal review process for requests for additional aid once an award has been finalized. An appeal for review must be submitted in writing to the Financial Aid Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.